I don't have cable tv. I don't care if I'm unaware of much of what makes our pop culture. I don't have a cell phone. I don't want people to be able to call me all the time. I have used e-mail for quite a while. To me, it just seems like a natural extension to the old-fashioned art of letter writing. (Especially for me since I used capital letters and punctuation.) I have resisted the idea of having a blog, but I gave in. That's all you need to know about that.
Last year, I spent many months trying to find some people from my past--especially people from my mission. I had a little luck, but not much. Then I thought of looking on Facebook for my favorite companion, Sister Beadle. Amazingly, there she was! It was so easy. I immediately got an account and guess what I saw? Pictures of Sister Beadle (now called Christie) and her husband and her kids. I could e-mail her, talk to her live (on-line chat) and send her pictures of my family. We got all caught up and it was FUN! I was still a little weary about Facebook.
My brother, Michael, found out I was on Facebook. He got all excited and added me as a friend. It was so interesting. I told him, "I have entered your world. Are you sure you want me here?" Turns out, he did. It was from Facebook that I found out he had a girlfriend. And then it was how I found out when he broke up with her. It was where I chatted with him to see how he was doing post-break-up. We had a little friendship.
Then I looked for my cousins. I have a fair few cousins on Facebook. Guess what? I have chatted with Judi, my cousin and former roommate, who now lives in Pennsylvania. I talk to Melanie and Gregg (who live in Georgia) and David (who lives in Layton) all the time. I love these people, but I never see them. I don't call them on the phone. I don't send them letters. It has been a great thing for me to rebuild relationships.
I have reconnected with college roommates. Some of them I haven't been able to keep track of for years. My roommate, Jen, was once among my closest friends. But she married a military man. They move so much and she isn't great at keeping in contact. I never know where she is. But now, wherever they move, I still have her on Facebook.
I have reconnected with so many of my missionary friends. I have conversations with people in New Zealand and Australia and Utah :) several times a week. I am loving this. I know people (i.e. my sisters--the ones who don't read blogs, either) who make fun of what they call my Facebook obsession. But I will tell you this: I enjoy my new social life. I have friends. They are mostly my old friends. I like them. If this is the only way we stay in touch with each other, that's fine. It's been more effective than any other thing I have ever tried. And you can make fun of me all you want. If I were you reading a blog like this six months ago, I would have openly mocked it, too.
7 comments:
I won't mock you. I'm a big fan of Facebook! I love your blog too. It's all good with me. :-)
I kind-of make fun of you, just because that's what I do. But I still think it's cool that you found your old friends. I like friends.
Megan, I think it is great. I am very new to facebook, as you know from all my mistakes on there. LOL. I think that the internet is a great way to keep in touch with people. I too hate phonecalls and much prefer if people write to me. LOL
I'm right with you.
I completely agree! It's been fun getting to know you better through Facebook. It's so easy to keep in touch with people - and all in one place! LOVE it! And I can't believe how many people I have reconnected with. From all 6 states that I've lived in and my mission in Germany too! Would that have been possible without Facebook? I think not! I mocked it before I tried it and now I'm it's biggest fan!
Megan, LOL means laughing out loud. That is, Cami has typed something she finds amusing. LOL. Welcome to the internet.
I'm past the mocking stage, but have moved into the anxiety stage. There IS an anxiety stage, right?
I like my friends finding me, but I don't know what to do about the shadowy characters from my past.
Post a Comment