Sunday, January 17, 2010

The gift to believe

The gifts of the Spirit are discussed in various scriptures. I quote from Doctrine and Covenants 46:11-14:

For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. 

To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.


To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.


To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.

I have just returned from a special church meeting. We had in attendance Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I am not sure that I've ever been in a stake conference (a relatively small meeting) where an apostle was present. I was very excited to see him and hear him in such a personal setting. He quoted the scripture above and then told us that he is one who knows. I am blessed to believe on his words. I have no doubt at this time that I heard an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ speak today. Elder Scott's testimony of the Savior was so simple and powerful. I consider it a great gift to believe him.
 
I hold my faith and belief in Jesus Christ as one of my precious treasures. My testimony gives me stability when life is unstable. It brings me peace no matter what chaos is around me. I am confident that Jesus Christ lives, that he loves me, and that he knows me. I am also sure in my belief that we have living prophets on the earth today. I think that the things I experienced yesterday and today with Elder Scott will always affect me and the way I act and what I believe.

1 comment:

Cami said...

Megan, That sounds just wonderful. I am happy you had such a great time.