A friend invited me to read their family blog today. So, being an overachiever, I read the entire blog history. Luckily, they haven't been blogging for long and her blentries are more about pictures than lengthy, wordy words like mine. :) My point? Yes, I have one. She had one entry that included this quote from Winnie Dalley:
"A house does not have to be perfect to be a home of joy, a child does not have to behave perfectly to love and be loved, and every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value. Too often, I realize, we fail to see the glorious reality of the simple joy that abounds in the seemingly mundane routine of day-to-day living. Instead, we tend to idolize the past, idealize the future, and devalue the present. We complain abundantly, we worry too much, and we appreciate too little. We forget Amulek’s exhortation to “live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which [God] doth bestow upon” us (Alma 34:38), as well as Alma’s counsel to “let [our] heart be full of thanks unto God” (Alma 37:37). What better way to show our appreciation to Heavenly Father for what we have than to embrace our lives, albeit “ordinary” and “unexciting,” with joy?"
I like it. So, I thought I'd pass it on. (I did a little research...if research is a code name for Google...and found the article that includes this quote here.)
3 comments:
I love the quote. It is wonderful. I am going to have to find a place on my blog for it.
Thanks for this. It's a great quote.
Good quote. I read a few books on this subject (enjoying the ordinary) a few years ago. It's something I aspire to, but I have a long way to go.
Post a Comment