Friday, March 28, 2014

Mid-Life Philosophy--38

Enjoy the Weather

I was better at this when I was younger. I am just so cold now that I am in the middle. But I work on it, because it is one of the philosophies of my life that makes me the happiest.

It all started during my freshman year of college. I'm not sure I paid much attention to the weather before that. At least, I didn't pay much emotional attention. When the snow started falling that freshman year, I thought, Ugh. Here we go. Another winter. I had to walk to class. As I walked along, I passed a stranger. We greeted each other and I said something about Ugh, snow. She responded, "I love it! The air is so crisp and invigorating! I'm from the south." Hmm. That was something new for me. She made me think.

As the winter continued, something happened. This was the first winter I had spent considerable time outdoors every single day. (The joys of not owning a car!) And I loved it. If I'm dressed for the weather, I'm happy in the winter. I'm also happy in the spring and I love the summer! I love sunshine! And autumn is so beautiful and the air is so refreshing.

I have learned to love and enjoy all sorts of different weather. I really love unseasonable weather. For example, spring snow or autumn heat. I love extremes--when there is record rainfall or snowfall or record warm temperatures (as long as we get enough water for drinking). I love the sunshine. And the wind. Wind is so much fun.

As I mentioned, as I get older, I have trouble remembering to enjoy certain types of winter. We have had a painfully cold, wet winter this year. Sometimes I got discouraged. But every single time I went outside to shovel snow, it was like I was a freshman all over again. The air was crisp and invigorating! The snow is so pretty. It's almost April and I am excited for the spring! I really love it all.

My youngest daughter didn't have to learn to love all types of weather. She does it naturally. She made up a song when she was about four-years-old. It has several versions: "Snow, snow. I love snow. Snow is the best thing I've ever seen." And "Rain, rain. I love rain. Rain is the best thing I've ever seen." And "Sun, sun. I love sun. Sun is the best thing I've ever seen." And "Wind, wind. I love wind. Wind is the best thing I've ever seen." I think you get the idea. She is a very happy child and I think it's because she already knows how to enjoy whatever comes her way.

It makes everything about life happier and more pleasant when I enjoy the weather that I have.

No comments: