Monday, June 8, 2009

I'm a good mom, right?

I try to keep an eye on my kids. I know some people find me overprotective. So when I make big mistakes, it is shocking to me. So, here's the story:

We live at my mom's, as you may know. Sometimes my sisters come over. They also have kids. The cousins play so nicely together. It is one of the greatest things in my life. Well, last Tuesday, Rachel and Brynn were over. That means there were 13 children playing in the yard. The oldest one is Ammon, who is 8. Usually, when the little children go outside, the moms (I'm one of the moms) say something like, "Sarah (a "big" kid), keep an eye on Beth (a little one)." Or Rachel will say, "Emma, Ryan's outside. You're in charge of him." But on Tuesday, there were so many children and so much going on, that I guess we forgot to say that.

We were having a pleasant grown-up conversation, when suddenly, Josh (Rachel's husband) said, "I'm going to go check on Ryan." And he ran out of the house. Ryan and Beth, who are both 2, were not in the backyard. They were not in the front yard. They were not in the side yard. They were not on the sidewalk. They were not in the street. Josh finally found them down at the neighborhood park holding hands and picking flowers.

The image of them holding hands and picking flowers is pretty cute, you have to admit. But then you think about two 2-year-olds crossing the street by themselves and hanging out in a city park by themselves and you have to think: WHAT KIND OF A MOM ARE YOU?!

And then I answer your question: Thanks to Josh nothing bad happened to my child (or his), and so I'm going to go ahead and still call myself a good mom.

3 comments:

Burnhams said...

2 year olds can be sneaky. Travis and I were upstairs once and Cardon was downstairs watching sesame street (or so we thought) well he wasn't, he decided to go outside, to the front yard. Some random lady came knocking on our door. We heard the door and went down, there she was with Cardon asking if he was ours. Lucky for us and him she was nice and brought him home and didn't kidnap him!

]\[-]{ said...

I'm willing to bet that 99% of people wouldn't kidnap an unattended child. It's just too much work.

Cami said...

Cute kids. LOL. Glad you found them.