Monday, March 7, 2011

Service Week

There's been an unusual amount of grumpiness and fighting at our house lately. We are battling this by having a service week. Each day, we draw a name out of a hat and do a small act of service for that person. Day one went very well. Chris went grocery shopping for me. I made Beth's bed. Beth gave Nathan a homemade card that said, "Beth loves Nathan." Sarah made a big BYU poster for Chris. Nathan cut pictures out of the Ensign magazine of the temple and the prophet and apostles to give to Ammon. I wasn't sure how Ammon would react to that, but he was genuinely grateful. He put them in a special place to treasure. Ammon whipped up a little poem for Sarah. This was especially sweet since Sarah was having an extremely bad day and feeling worthless. Would you like to hear the poem?

Ode to Sarah by Ammon
Flowers bloom and the stars and moon shine
But you know my sister, she's really quite fine.
She's cool and you know she really is keen.
If she lived on Naboo, I'd elect her as queen.

Honestly, isn't that the sweetest thing? Doesn't it make you wish you had a brother who would write you a little poem when you were feeling down? Even me, I have a brother just like that. I keep a poem, written many years ago when I was having a bad day, in my scriptures where I can read it whenever I want. It makes me smile.

1 comment:

Wine in Thyme said...

Great idea. Wish I would have thought of it when my boys were young.