Friday, December 2, 2011

Light

Do you know what one of my favorite things is? A sunny winter day. I love it when the ground is covered with snow, the sky is blue, and the sun is cheerful and bright. Sunshine always seems a little brighter when it's reflecting off the snow. First thing in the morning, I open the blinds and drapes to let the sunshine in. It makes me happy. It is only fitting to me that light, which is essential for life, has its spiritual counterpart: Jesus Christ is the Light, and He is essential for eternal life.

I believe that everyone of us has a little light within. We have ways we can freely give of ourselves to others. But our light is limited. If left to ourselves, we will run out of light that we can give to other people. Happily, we don't have to run out if we are always seeking His light.

"Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God. Behold all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow." (Isaiah 50:10-11)

Isaiah asks the question who can be following the Lord and still be in darkness? If this is how we feel, we should trust the Lord a little more. And then he creates this amazing imagery of kindling a fire and walking by the light of our own fire--which is sparks. It's not a bright, cheerful image to me.

Isaiah teaches us a better way by invitation: "O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the Lord." (Isaiah 2:5)

Instantly, in my mind's eye, I see myself walking not in sparks but in brilliant sunshine.

Christ's followers are expected to share light. "Ye are the light of the world. ... Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:14, 16)

I believe that the closer we are to Jesus Christ, the true Light, the more light we will have within us to share and let shine. It's important to always remember that this isn't my light; it's the Savior's. At a different time, Christ taught clearly where we can find light: "Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up..." (3 Nephi 18:24)

This brings me to what is, perhaps, my favorite scripture. A prophet, Abinadi, was teaching the reality of the resurrection. He said, "He is the light and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless, that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless, that there can be no more death." (Mosiah 16:9)

If you know me very well, you have probably heard me talk about how much this scripture means to me. There was a very specific time in my life that I (finally) recognized that the Atonement does more than help me repent of my sins (although, it certainly does that). The Atonement can help me through everyday trials and tribulations. Because of His Atonement, Jesus Christ can give me strength when I am weak. He can give me peace when I am agitated. And He can fill me with His light when I am dim. Although my light is limited, His light can never be darkened. I hope to walk in His light and, as He instructed, hold up His light for others to see.

No comments: