As we approach Christmas this year, I want to write a little of my thoughts and beliefs about Jesus Christ. I'm hoping this will help me focus my mind on the Savior as we prepare to celebrate His birth.
After hearing Jesus speak about the many mansions in His Father's house that He is preparing for His disciples, Thomas asked Him, "Lord, ...how can we know the way?" (John 14:5).
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6).
As I have studied and pondered Jesus' words in this verse, I thought that I could separate the way, the truth, and the life, and each could become a title for the Savior. I've thought a lot about Jesus Christ's role as the Truth. It's more than truth, as in telling the truth. He is perfect Truth.
Recently, I was sitting in Sunday School learning from 2 Timothy. In chapter 3, Paul describes apostasy and perilous times in the last days. He describes many and varied sins that will plague mankind and then he wrote this: "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth" (2 Timothy 3:7).
The Sunday School teacher didn't focus too much on this verse, but the Holy Ghost very plainly reminded me that sometimes in scripture "the truth" can be a title. I began to think about what it would mean if I could substitute another of Christ's titles in the verse: "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the Savior."
I have watched as people I care about have struggled with their personal faith. I have read their words or listened in conversation as they've explained their search for truth. A few months ago, I heard one friend relate her tale of searching to find peace in her life. She told me all she was doing to find solace to her soul and attain inner peace. It was something she had not found in her years as an active church member. I prayed for her and I wondered. What was she missing? The answer came plainly: Jesus Christ. Her search had been to find peace within herself. To find comfort and happiness from herself. But she need not have looked to all those sources nor to tear herself apart. She was and is ever learning, and not yet able to come to the knowledge of the Truth. In different ways, we all are in her shoes. We search and search, and the answer is plain and right before us.
Jesus Christ is "the way, the truth, and the life." It is in Him we find real peace and real purpose.
Another current trend is the phrase "my truth" or "your truth." It is common in our quest to tolerate others' beliefs and lifestyles to assume that what is true for me may not be true for you. While this attitude is the case in opinions such as whether or not to homeschool, it is not the case when it comes to the Truth. There is One who is Perfect Truth. And His Way is for all people.
At another time, Jesus spoke to His disciples and said, "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).
This verse is another instance when I believe the word truth can be a title Truth. As we strive to be His disciples, we shall know Him, and Jesus Christ shall make us free. It is only through Jesus Christ that we can find real truth, find real freedom, and everlasting peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment