Finding Myself
I had the privilege and blessing to serve as a full-time proselyting missionary for my church. I served in Australia for 18 months, beginning when I was 21-years-old. Nothing else could have helped me discover who I am as profoundly and plainly as my missionary service. I was a pretty decent person before my mission, if I do say so myself. But the powerful lessons I learned in that very brief time have set me on a path that has brought me great happiness.
Jesus Christ taught, "He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it" (Matthew 10:39). On my mission and at other times in my life, I have discovered more about myself when I wasn't thinking about myself than I could have with a whole lot of "me time."
I understand the importance of having time for personal development. I had four children in less than six years. Of course I understand that! I also understand that not everyone needs to serve a mission to learn this lesson. However, I learned it best as a missionary. I have been able to apply it for the almost twenty years since that time.
If I lack confidence, hard work or service help give me a boost. If I feel sad, hard work or service can lessen those feelings. If I am angry, nothing is more therapeutic than working for or serving someone else. I come back to my own life more complete, with a better understanding of my own heart and needs. I also feel more gratitude.
President Hinckley told the story of his own mission. He was down and discouraged when he got a letter from his dad with the simple advice, "Forget yourself and go to work." President Hinckley made the decision to invest himself in the work. Late in his life, he said, "Everything that has happened to me since that's been good I can trace to that decision..."
His words could have been mine. I loved my mission so much. I think about mission experiences and people every day. The lessons I learned, most especially to lose myself in order to find myself, have shaped my outlook on life. That particular lesson has helped me to be a better student, employee, member of a community, and church member. It has helped me be a better wife and mother.
Again, I know you don't have to serve a full-time mission to learn this lesson. But I am grateful every day that it was part of God's plan for me to serve in that capacity. I know it's not my decision, but I hope that it is part of God's plan for my children to allow them to serve as full-time missionaries. It is magnificent to find yourself while engaged in God's work.
No comments:
Post a Comment