Friday, May 2, 2014

Mid-Life Philosophy--3

Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!

My favorite quote from Henry David Thoreau is simply this: "Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!" I first read this as a teenager and I've held on to it.

I choose to have a simple life. I am purposely not very busy. We spend a lot of time at home or at nearby parks. I like it like that. I really enjoy traveling, but it's not practical for a family in our situation to travel that much. We are content with the life we have around us.

Paul wrote to the Philippians, "For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." This has been one of my keys to lasting happiness. I try to be content with the simple things. I like to look for little positive things that brighten my day. The last few days as I wash the dishes, I have enjoyed watching the world turn to spring outside the kitchen window. To do that, I turn my eyes away from the massive propane tanks to the left and focus on the hillside to the right. It's a small effort, but turning my head helps me to see amazing beauty. I am so grateful and happy when my children get delighted over little things--like the birds in the yard or a new mushroom growing because of the rain. I can't tell you how many times we've called to each other to come out to see a fascinating insect. We walk around the yard looking at the different small blossoms on the many varied kinds of weeds. It's a lovely yard.

The world is full of simple wonder and beauty. I believe choosing to live simply helps me to appreciate very small things and learn to be content with what I have. I also think that looking for the good in the world has helped me to look for the good in people. My life is so much more enjoyable when I find positive characteristics about people around me. Focusing on the good is a pretty simple way to live and I believe these very simple behaviors bring my life more meaning.

No comments: