Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Secret Prayer

Ammon had a tired, grumpy day. He has tried to be cheerful but that requires tremendous effort. Dinner was the worst--absolute worst--part of the day. Ammon was too grumpy to get up to the table and way too grumpy to eat. But Nathan was cheerful. He claimed that it was his favorite kind of chicken and it was delicious. (We know that isn't true...his favorite chicken is rotisserie, not something I bake.)

Out of the blue, Nathan said, "Excuse me for a moment." And he disappeared under the table. I looked under at him--surely he was up to something mischievious. You know Nathan. He said, "Mom, I need some privacy." And he crawled under my chair. It's a little more difficult to look at him under my own chair. Beth thought he was playing a fun game of hide and seek. She tried to join in. He said, "Beth! I need to be alone. I'm trying to pray." Then he said, "Ammon, you can look. It's a surprise for you."

Later, I asked Nathan about his prayer. He told me he was praying that Ammon wouldn't be sad any more. Isn't that sweet? (Your line here is, "Yes. Yes, it is.")

A few minutes after dinner, Sarah came upstairs with a homemade card. It was to Ammon and the purpose was to make him happy. Who can be sad with Nathan and Sarah around?

4 comments:

Laura said...

Yes, yes, it is. That's a great story.

Rachel said...

That is very sweet. Good kids. Who is their mom? Just kidding. You are a good mom. By the way, I had a dream last night that you were training to be a matador.

Cami said...

That is so sweet.

Kathryn said...

I can't be, that's for sure.