As many of you already know, U2 released a new album last week. It is U2's first album in 5 years, I believe. I know there are weightier issues to discuss, but I would like to talk U2. My friend, Stephanie Johnson, first introduced me to U2 at a youth conference. We listened to a particular song over and over while she wrote down the lyrics. (That was in the days before you could call up lyrics to any song on the internet.) Even then, I was impressed with the deep meaning of their lyrics. This, I decided, was no ordinary band. I have invested in all of their albums. And as B.B. King said to Bono, "You awful young to be writing such heavy lyrics." Maybe he said, "mighty young." Either way, they write meaningful music. Remember the Superbowl halftime show in 2002? It was just a few months after the terrorist attacks in New York (commonly referred to as 9-11). Who else but U2 could present an appropriate and heartfelt show? They were able to pay tribute to all who lost their lives--and then sing a song that gives the rest of us hope for the future (It's a Beautiful Day). Honestly, it was incredible. I know I was already biased, but there is no other band that could make a Superbowl halftime show that emotional.
Anyway, I have spent too much time watching "Rattle and Hum" over and over. I love the raw energy and passion of their live performances. In high school, I had friends I referred to as my U2 friends. We would get together and talk U2. That's all we had in common. But we were great friends because we had a solid foundation of a great band. My best friend, Jaye, married one of my U2 friends. I have a lot of memories surrounding U2. The last concert I attended was U2--in Denver--on their Zooropa tour. (I'm not a big concert goer.) When, in 1998, U2 released its first Greatest Hits album, my friend Neal and I went to the midnight release party at some record store in Salt Lake. I was the 11th person in Utah to own that cd. I have enjoyed listening to their new music this week. I read people's impressions of it and am grateful that I am not a music critic. I am a fan; and therefore, I am allowed to enjoy music just for fun.
Over the years, as I have watched Bono singlehandedly changing the world for good, I have reflected on how I chose my teen idol. What foresight! What maturity! What depth! Amazing, really. Chris, who isn't much of a U2 fan, has often said that he believes Bono (and Oprah) will be blessed eternally for the good they have done on this earth. Really, if you are unfamiliar with Bono's many projects, you should research them. You could write a term paper on that research--there's that much material. He is impressive--very intelligent and practical. I don't agree with all of his opinions or causes, but one cannot argue that he is doing the best he can with what he knows. Bono is married to his high school girlfriend and has never been accused (even in the tabloids) of misbehavior (other than drinking a bit too much and then passing out). Honestly, if you're going to look up to a celebrity, this is a good one.
It was so fun last week--U2 week on David Letterman! All week long, Bono and the boys playing their music and having fun. I love this band. I don't quite have the same obsessive passion for their music that I had when I was 17, but this is a great band. I could go on and on, but I think I already have. Thanks for listening.
4 comments:
Josh isn't much of a U2 fan. I miss their music. I think I will invest in some of their cds.
We both love U2! What a great thing to blog about.
I love U2, but I especially love your passion. :)
Would you laugh if you knew that went to "Rattle and Hum" at the midnight show at Movies 8 FOUR times? Despite that, it took marrying Jacob to truly convert me. And I agree, if there's a celebrity to look up to, Bono is a reasonable choice.
Post a Comment