And I am left to wonder: How could I not have known about this day? My whole family rejoices in good writing. My sister-in-law, Laura, admits that she "loves a well-placed bit of punctuation." (It took me waaay too long to find that old status update on Facebook, but I had to quote it correctly!)
It should be noted that I majored in science and I really don't know the rules of writing like I should. But I don't text and I don't Twitter. Avoiding those things helps me remember that punctuation matters. When I chat online, I use capitalization and punctuation (even when my friends say things like, "i c ur bsy c-ya"). So I'm trying. I really am. I make lots of mistakes. For example, a couple of weeks ago I wrote a lengthy note on Facebook that included the word patriotical. Ha ha ha. I think it's a strange mix of patriotic and patriarchal, which are two words only a Mormon could confuse. (That's just a little joke.) Of course, we're talking about punctuation, not words. We'll discuss words a different day.
So, this smile and wink are for all of you who remember that punctuation is there to clarify the meaning of the sentence, not to show emotion. :-) and ;-)
Read this article for some fun and let's resolve together (as suggested in the newspaper):
- I will use the apostrophe to show possession, not to pluralize a word.
- But I will not use the apostrophe to show possession in the word its.
- I will use the exclamation point sparingly.
5 comments:
Happy Punctuation Day! Don't we all love a good holiday?
I can't tell you how happy I was to learn about National Punctuation Day yesterday.
It was a beautiful day. And I'm sorry my status update was so hard to find. I'll try to make it easier in the future. (How? By taking over FB, of course.)
And for the record, I like emoticons. So there. 8-)
Megan, I had no idea there even was such a day. To top it off I am a day late! LOL I am not that good with punctuation.
Too bad Im so late in discovering this special day I always use my punctuation too If I had but known about this holiday I would have given my punctuation the day off Nevertheless I intend to show by this post its never too late to honor commas periods exclamation marks question marks interrobangs apostrophes quotation marks both single and double parentheses and their three siblings brackets hyphens n dashes m dashes slashes pipes ellipses colons semicolons and my pet punctuation the irony mark which I have just learned is also called the percontation point
Guys lets bring it back
Post a Comment