Monday, November 1, 2010

Gratitude: Day #1

Thanksgiving is this month. I thought I'd do something I've never done before--at least not publicly. I'm going to list things I'm grateful for. Just one a day. Hopefully, I'll be able to come up with something for every day.

As I turned a corner today, I saw flashing lights in the distance. Without thinking, I pulled over to the right side of the road to allow the emergency vehicle easy and safe passage. I know it sounds silly, but I always love seeing people pull over when an emergency vehicle asks them to. (They ask with bright lights and loud sirens--not unlike the way my kids "ask" for things.) Sometimes people are a little late responding because they didn't notice the need. Why do I love this common occurance? Because I think it represents civility. I am grateful to live in a civilization of order. We obey a variety of laws as we drive around and it creates peace.

(I am aware that not everyone obeys driving laws, but I am focusing on the positive because I am showing gratitude.)

1 comment:

Cami said...

LOL. Interesting post. I have to comment that in Korea people don't pull over for emergency vehicles. They should but don't. The think to know is if you need to get somewhere fast in Korea call a tow truck. they drive crazy and people get out of their way.