Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Giving thanks...

As we express our appreciation for our many blessings,
we become more conscious of what the Lord has done for us,
and thereby we become more appreciative.
--N. Eldon Tanner

Last summer, my sister was diagnosed with cancer. According to people who know things, it was the "best" kind of cancer to get because it is so treatable. We knew she was waiting for results of her medical tests, but somehow I was still very surprised when it really was cancer. I immediately found myself getting angry at my children for no reason. I guess that was how I expressed my emotions. But my older sister had a better idea. She decided that we needed to spend time together. Those of my sisters who live in the area went out to lunch. We even let Mom come. I have proof:


While at lunch, we laughed and laughed until our sides ached. The waitress asked what we were celebrating and we pointed at Rachel and said, "She has cancer!" And then we laughed some more. I know it's not really funny at all, but laughing, like crying, is an emotional release. And, you will be shocked to discover that Applebee's does not--I repeat: DOES NOT--give you a free dessert on the day you were diagnosed with cancer. If you work at a restaurant, I suggest you talk to management about this. Honestly, birthdays come every year to every single person. But cancer, that's something interesting.

After lunch, we had some extra time. One of us (maybe me) suggested we go shopping. That's just silly because we're not really shoppers. But we remembered that there is an Office Max close by! And a Barnes and Noble! I love the fact that I was with people who understood (and agreed) that shopping for office supplies or books is a lot more fun than shopping for clothes. I love paper!

Anyway, Rachel's diagnosis and treatment has been difficult for me. I've been mostly helpless and useless. I've spent time in private crying and praying and time in public laughing and making inappropriate cancer jokes. We call it tumor humor. I don't like it. I'm not referring to the humor. Laughing is good. I'm referring to the cancer. I don't like it. And I really don't like it attacking my little sister.

You're probably wondering what I'm grateful for today. It's my sisters. My sisters are something that I openly admit taking for granted. I was pretty old before I realized what an incredible thing it is to have sisters and have close relationships with each one. My sisters are my best friends. They are a huge support to me. I am glad we live so close to each other. (My youngest sister lives two hours away. I wish she was closer, but if wishes were horses we'd all take a ride.) The cancer isn't the only thing that has made me wake up and be grateful to have sisters, but it brought it back to the front of my mind.

In July, when I was really emotional about all this, I wrote a blog entry about my sisters in my head. I was too lazy to write it on the computer. I think it was a better entry than this one. But I think most things are better in my head and then they fall out of my head all sloppy. I'll just end it by saying that I am deeply grateful to God that He blessed me with sisters. I'm grateful that we remain close and that we all get along so well. They are absolutely a blessing to me.

No comments: